The decade that was...
Posted on 16 April 2020 by Fred Nucara
The saying goes that “24 hours is a long time in politics”, well what about the last decade. It feels like it was only 24 hours ago that we were celebrating the year 2010.
Looking back or hindsight is a great way for me to recalibrate and celebrate what we have achieved and learned. Too often, we forget to realise how much we have achieved as individuals within our family, workplace and community – and more importantly learn how we can improve.
In late 2007 I started Aston Commercial (under the Beller Commercial brand) and we hit the GFC in early 2008 before a rebound occurred in Commercial Property in the early part of the decade.
A retail property in Chapel Street Windsor where my office was located, could be purchased for around $650,000. Today, that same property is worth on average $1,600,000. That’s an average capital growth of $100,000 per annum or 15.40% per annum. It may not be reflective of the Commercial Property trend in Melbourne overall, but is an insight of “markets within markets”.
The median house price in Melbourne was $533,000 in 2010 and in 2020 it is $855,000 and tipped to be around $1,000,000 in 2 years. Again, this reflects average growth of 6% per annum over the decade.
There are some other wonderful events that occurred over the decade:
- Australia had its first female Prime Minister in Julia Gillard after a Leadership spill.
- Australia had 4 Prime Ministers.
- Richmond Football Club won its first AFL premiership in 37 years (I am biased being a RFC supporter!)
- Barack Obama won a second term and Donald Trump got voted in as US President.
- Boris Johnson is voted in as Prime Minister of the UK.
- The Queen celebrated 60 years on the throne.
- Prince William and Catherine Middleton marry in 2011.
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle marry in 2018.
- A soccer team of 13 is rescued from the Tham Luang cave in Thailand.
- Bob Hawke and Gough Whitlam pass away.
- The first iPad was launched by Apple.
- Gangnam Style was a very popular dance.
- Planking was cool – but not for me.
- Ice Bucket Challenge raised awareness for MND (ALS) – and yes I did it!
- Total eclipse happened in 2017.
- I celebrate my 50th
- COVID-19 pandemic hits us in 2020.
So, technically another decade has begun, and the COVID-19 Pandemic is centre stage. Just like the GFC of 2008, and other major world events, we are never ceased to be shocked. These events sharpen our resolve and life lessons even though we are not truly aware of what they are at the time.
However, one thing that I have found never changes is the value of Human Emotion. We control our own attitude and whilst I am being bombarded by an insurmountable amount of media, I have noticed more “good news” stories, which assist in health and well-being. For me, it’s about being selective and choosing what I want to watch to contribute to my current positivity and clear thinking amidst the turmoil.
The Human Connection is stronger than ever and for me, it’s about valuing Time over the next decade in what is certainly going to be another surprise of unexpected events.See you all in 2030…with what I imagine will be another list of interesting occurrences and personal life lessons.
Director and Officer in Effective Control